Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Potato Kale Cakes

I came home from work with little energy or imagination. Add to that a pantry with little in it and that's how this recipe came about. Potatoes and kale go together beautifully. This is an easy recipe with few ingredients, and it feeds a family. Even my meat eating husband liked it!

Serves 4

Potatoes and Kale:
3 T olive oil
2 T Earth Balance
1/2 C onion, chopped
1 small bunch of kale, stems cut out and chopped (3 cups packed)
2 large potatoes, cut in half, boiled and chopped (4 cups)
salt

Fill a large pot with cold water and add the halved potatoes and some salt. Bring them to a boil and cook until soft (approximately 25 minutes). Drain and cool slightly. Meanwhile, in a large saute pan melt 2 T. olive oil and the Earth Balance. Saute the onion over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add the kale, sprinkle with a little salt and cook until the kale is softened and wilted down by half.  Remove the onion and kale to a large bowl.

When the potatoes are ready, drain and place on a cutting board. Cut into pieces resembling a large dice. Add the potatoes to the bowl of onion and kale. Add one tablespoon of olive oil and salt to taste (I used 1 teaspoon sea salt). Mix well.

In the saute pan heat enough olive oil to saute the potato and kale cakes. Form the cakes using either a 1/4 or 1/3 cup measuring cup. Lay the cakes into the saute pan over medium heat and cook until lightly browned (approximately 3-5 minutes on each side). Serve on a plate with the serving sauce either on the side or drizzled over the top.

Serving sauce:
2 T Vegenaise
1 T stone ground mustard (I used Boetje's, I think it has more vinegar than most)
1 T ketchup

Mix the ingredients together.







4 comments:

Cheryl Allen Salinas said...

mmmm this looks delish!

myguetschow said...

Hi Cheryl!
Thanks. It is delish!!
I loved the pics on your latest post...looked like so much fun!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, I found this through pintrest and I tried it. YUMMY! Even my 2 year old gobbled it up! But I couldn't get my cakes to cake together. Any tips? I ended up just piling the fried mixture onto plates and drizzling the sauce on top. I'll post my pics on my blog tomorrow. Hope you'll check it out.

myguetschow said...

Welcome Yedei!

And thank you for your comment!

I'm not sure what the problem may stem from. It could be they needed more moisture. I will make the cakes again and see if I have the same problem. Could it be the age of the potato??? I'm sure you're using freshly harvested potatoes... We'll figure it out. I'll get back with you in the next couple of days.

In the meantime, have a great day and I'm checking out your blog!!! :)